United Way of Adams County, Inc.

Give. Give. Give.
Advocate. Advocate. Advocate.
Volunteer. Volunteer. Volunteer.

HelpLine Logo

Save on Medicine
Click to start saving

Click Below to Stay Connected!

Sign Up Now

United Way Allocations (2014-2015)

United Way of Adams County, Inc., plans to invest more than $1.1 million during FY 2015 into programs and initiatives advancing the common good in the areas of education, income and health. This total includes $729,800 in grants to 30 programs operated by United Way partner organizations. Seventy-eight thousand dollars in funding was also awarded to three United Way supported community initiatives –Financial Stability Initiative, Ready Set Grow and 5-2-1-0 Get Up & Move – designed to implement long-term strategies that create opportunities for a better life for all in Adams County.

“United Way is in a unique position to support community programs that respond to immediate needs while also providing support and leadership to initiatives that provide long-term solutions to community issues,” said Rick Halter, United Way Board president. “Our organization is proud to work with individual and organizations passionate about making lasting change in our community.”

Through the annual resource investment process, 30 programs will be funded in FY 2015. United Way board members Jenny Hayden and John Letts led the process where teams of community volunteers spent three months considering agency requests. This included site visits to the agencies and presentations to gather information on the measureable impact of each program. See the list of funded programs in the chart below.

“The resource investment process is the cornerstone of United Way’s accountability to the community. This process allows local volunteers to determine how best to address community needs with locally raised funds,” Hayden said. The 30 volunteers involved committed more than 930 total hours to assess the applications and make funding decisions. Of the $729,800 allocated to programs, about $142,000 represents United Way funding that “matches” or leverages more than $1.1 million in other resources from sources such as state and federal grants. In some cases, United Way is the unique source of the entire match required.

In addition, $313,670 has been committed to United Way direct service programs. These include operating the Help Line and the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, providing administrative support for the Quincy Area Partnership for Unmet Needs, volunteer recruitment, coordination of Adams County Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) and Adams County Interagency Council, local leadership for the National Emergency Food & Shelter Program and the Family Wize Prescription Discount Program, coordinating annual Day Of Action activities and involvement with the annual Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive led by the local letter carriers. In the last year, these United Way direct services returned nearly $2 million in community impact. This includes the value of more than 4,000 hours of service by United Way volunteers, $55,400 in medication savings received through the Family Wize prescription program and $1.8 million in income tax refunds received by clients of the United Way’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

The $1.1 million invested in community programs represents 86.5% of United Way’s $1.3 million operating budget for FY 2015. The remaining $225,000, which is 13.5% of the total budget, is allocated for administration and fundraising expenses.

“United Way continues to recruit the people and organizations with the passion and resources to identify issues, develop solutions and work together to get things done,” said Executive Director Cheryl Waterman. “Our board and our staff take great care to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to us by the community and to use those resources in areas where they have the most impact.”

RI announcement

United Way of Adams County | 936 Broadway, Suite F | Quincy, IL 62301 | PHONE: (217) 222-5020 | FAX: (217) 222-0911 FacebookEmailTwitter