To inspire, unite, and empower the people of Adams County, IL to reach their full, human potential.
United Way of Adams County provides several services directly to the community.....discounts on medicine through the FamilyWize Drug Discount Card; free help to file state and federal income taxes through the VITA program and the Help Line for information on community resources.
FamilyWize Prescription Discount Card
- United Way is a national partner in the FamilyWize Prescription Discount Program. Locally, we support this program by distributing discount cards to residents, social service agencies and healthcare providers in Adams and Pike counties.
- The VITA program contributes to financial stability by providing access to free income tax preparation. During the 2020 tax season, VITA volunteers helped 659* clients to file both federal and state income taxes generating more than $1,600,000 in federal and state refunds. Clients came from Illinois, Missouri and Iowa to take advantage of this service, which saved taxpayers on preparation fees.
*UWAC usually assists between 1,100-1,200 clients each year, but due to restrictions on large gatherings due to Covid-19 we had to suspend services early.
- Each year, nearly 1,100 calls are made to the Help Line with requests for information and assistance. Help to pay rent and utilities as well as transportation to medical appointments top the list of most requested needs. In addition to connecting people to community resources, many clients also required more in-depth advocacy to help them navigate the social service system.
- The Unmet Needs Partnership is committed to its mission to provide help when all other resources have been exhausted. During FY2020, the Partnership allocated over $21,800 in financial assistance that impacted over 240 clients.
- Convened by United Way, the Adams County InterAgency Council meets monthly to give local social service agencies the opportunity to network with each other and to learn more about local resources. This Council is vital to maintain collaborative and cooperative relationships that lead to more efficient and effective referrals between agencies.
- The Adams County VOAD committee mobilizes the faith community, local businesses and social services to respond to disaster recovery needs within the county. United Way serves as the lead agency to coordinate this team and prepare them to respond when needed.
Emergency Food & Shelter Program (EFSP)
- United Way of Adams County is the coordinating agency for the local board of the national EFSP, which manages EFSP funds awarded to Adams, Brown, Hancock and Pike Counties. EFSP funds are directed to local agencies for the purpose of rent and utility assistance and to help maintain food pantry inventories.